Sunday, November 29, 2009

Rocking Around the Hurricanes




Welcome if you're from Between Naps on the Porch!


I am loving me some hurricanes for this holiday season. When I saw a fabulous post on another blog highlighting how to make one-I had to give it a try.

I set my goals a little loftier than I should have when my daughter and I were at Micheal's and I saw one on sale for $7. I promptly informed her that I could make one cheaper. She promptly informed me that I was insane. WELL, who's laughing now? Me, that's who!





See that little hurricane with the beads and the amber ornament inside? The one with the big arrow pointed at it? It was $1 on clearance at Home Goods-the only thing I could find wrong with it was it needed washed. I kid you not!



See that silver plated candle stick? Same story-$1 at Home Goods but look as I might, I have yet to find anything wrong with it. I meant for the hurricane to go on this candlestick. I brought them home, scrubbed them clean, and hot glued them together.

Note to my readers, DO NOT HOT GLUE A HEAVY SILVER PLATED CANDLE STICK TO AN EXTREMELY LIGHT WEIGHT HURRICANE GLOBE!

Yeah, good thing I've got Mommy-hands and managed to catch that sucker before it came into contact with the floor. So I temporarily separated them by sitting them side by side while my pulse settled back to normal-beside my apothecary jars.

And then, while at Walmart craft section picking up some E6000 epoxy (because I was sure that I wasn't using hot glue again), I noticed this:


That huge hurricane globe was $3!! See the candlestick it sets on? $2 out of Wally's candle section. Made for each other, no? The slender taper holder in the middle? $1.

There you go.

For $8 I got a hurricane three times the size of Micheal's $7 one. For $1 and an apothecary jar I already had, I got a hurricane twice the size as Micheal's $7 one. For a buck, I got one the same size as Micheal's $7.

Pretty good, no?

10 comments:

Judy @ In His Grip said...

Hurricanes make everything look so classy. Good job!

Terry Stone said...

Thank you, Judy! I agree, they just have an elegance about them, don't they? And they sure make the Dollar Store candles and half price Christmas decorations look classy.

Michelle said...

I love hurricanes decorate for Christmas. I especially like the one with the beads...gorgeous!

Michelle@SpendaBuck

Rettabug said...

You really scored & made some beautiful decorations for very little money! BRAVO!
Thanks for visiting & leaving such nice comments on my mirror move.

fondly,
Rettabug

Tammy said...

I love the hurricanes with the beads! Thanks for the comments on my mantel! I am new to blogging about my life so I appreciate you stopping by!

gail@My Repurposed Life said...

great job! Glad you were quick enough to keep it from going CRASH! :)
gail

Sherri said...

I love all your candles! Just BEAUTIFUL!
Thanks for dropping by my blog. I'm sorry it was misleading. I'm not actually making the actual birds, just the 'how to' on the ornaments. I bought the birdies at the Dollar Tree 3/$1! They had red and white. Of course, I ONLY picked up as many as I would need for the tree and now I want more. LOL
The tutorial is SIMPLE. Like a 2 yo could do it. However, I had to have something to go with 4 calling birds! LOL

Gillian Layne said...

Terry Jo, they rock! (And Jeff isn't going to let me visit your blog anymore if you keep giving me ideas...) ;)

Linda (Nina's Nest) said...

You got some great creativity going on there....well done! Linda

Beth@The Stories of A to Z said...

Your hurricane with the beads look beautiful. Nicely done!