Thursday, June 24, 2010

A List of Things...

First off, a big Congratulations and Good Luck to my wonderful critique partner, Gillian Layne, on her final in the Golden Heart! I couldn't think of anyone who deserves it more. Gillian is such a talented writer and such a wonderful friend, I cannot imagine trying to write without the support and advice of this wonderful person!

Second, I apologize for not posting since the winter. Sometimes, a person just needs to take a break, and I was definitely needing a break. I'm glad to say that my health has improved to the point where I am almost entirely back to normal. I still have difficulty remembering where things are when I put them up-but then my Mom assures me that is merely the effects of nearing 40 and not the result of a mini-stroke, LOL.

Third, for everyone that asked for a tutorial on the wallpaper, thank you. I started to do one but felt so silly because it was so simple. The first step is to put up the paintable wallpaper-the hardest thing about this step and the entire project is matching up the seams-I hate matching up the seams. Let it dry. I then took Minwax Stain in Dark Walnut and just painted it on. To get the different tones, I was really messy with the stain. I would soak a foam brush in it, then squeeze the stain onto the paper and let it run a minute before spreading it around. Let that dry and then stand back and admire your handiwork. Easiest home improvement project ever, I promise.

Fourth, I have finally found the new story that has been lurking in my mind for months. I have the prologue (the prologue actually came to me first and set the scene for the entire book), chapters 1 and 2, and the black moment. I am writing towards the black moment because after the prologue came to me, the black moment came to me. I really hope this works because I've never tried this type of writing before. While I was never a plotter, I still wrote in a linear fashion. We'll see where this route takes me and enjoy the ride. I guess this is extreme writing by the seat of your pants.

And finally, I have finished the hole in the wall doorway. Okay, I did not finish it by myself. I got in over my head (actually, what I got in was an electric outlet and my son kicked part of the wall down to tell me to stop. It scared him so badly he told his dad -who promptly took my saw from me!) and had to call my uncle to come and save the day. He done such a fabulous job! I still need to paint the trim in my living room, and get my decorations up and then I will have some pictures for you!

Want a sneak peek? Of course you do!


More to come, I promise!

3 comments:

Gillian Layne said...

Thank you so much--and it goes without saying I couldn't have done it without you! :)

I am already in love with your stylish bookshelf (and look at all those excellent books!) Mine are just piled on with no pretties to break up the books. And your wallpaper tutorial is neat. My mom will love it. I can't wait for your next installment.

Terry Stone said...

Gillian, you should have seen that bookshelf prior to my rearranging it-books and papers piled everywhere!

Most of those pretties are flea market finds and scrap pieces of things I've had stored around the house!

The chair in the picture was found in my sister's barn! No joke. I snapped it up and brought it home and redid it. I ♥ it.

Gillian Layne said...

Oh my gosh! You definitely need to link up over at Nap on the Porch for her Monday Metamorphosis thing. That chair is gorgeous!